[CCCure CISSP] question about asset value in calculating the ALE

[CCCure CISSP] question about asset value in calculating the ALE

מקסים פרנקל
Hey you all,

First of all i have to say that this is a really great group of IT experts! :).

I have a scenario based question that asked me to find the ALE of a company something that is simple and not that complicated

They gave me the following information :

Profit per week is 30,000$
Dos attack lowers the sales by 60%
and the dos attack accords 9 times a year

sow far its all good ...

now i need to find the ALE of the asset

the asset value (AV) per week is: 30,000$
the exposure factor (EF) is : 0.6
the annual rate of occurrence (ARO) is : 9

The correct answer is : AV * EF = SLE   SEL=18,000$  , SLE*ARO=(ALE) 162,000$

What i didn't understated in this question is
that they asked my to find the annual loss expectancy, but the asset value is a weekly profit and not annually profit

i assume that first i need to find the annually asset value,
30,000$ *4(weeks)*12(month's)=1440000$

My question is:
Why are they using asset value of weekly profit to calculate annual profit ?

Thanks!

Re: [CCCure CISSP] question about asset value in calculating the ALE

Bryan-2
Probably because it may be easier for them? Or if it is a sample question that you are looking at, it may just be a trick but you can actually just do your weekly revenue ($30,000) x 52 since there is ALWAYS 52 weeks in the year.

Sent from my BlackBerry 10 smartphone on the Verizon Wireless 4G LTE network.

Re: [CCCure CISSP] question about asset value in calculating the ALE

Great question,

This is a nice example of applying knowledge instead of memorizing topics.

The exam excel at doing this, where they do not use word for word what you will see in book and in practice questions.

Where did you get this question from?

Office : +<a href="tel:703%20535%208600" value="+17035358600" target="_blank">703 535 8600
Mobile: <a href="tel:%2B1%20407%20433%206444" value="+14074336444" target="_blank">+1 407 433 6444

On Sat, Feb 22, 2014 at 9:20 AM, Bryan <[hidden email]> wrote:
Probably because it may be easier for them? Or if it is a sample question that you are looking at, it may just be a trick but you can actually just do your weekly revenue ($30,000) x 52 since there is ALWAYS 52 weeks in the year.

Sent from my BlackBerry 10 smartphone on the Verizon Wireless 4G LTE network.

Re: [CCCure CISSP] question about asset value in calculating the ALE

מקסים פרנקל
Thanks Clement for your answer,

I got the question from the  Eric Conrad book but i changed some numbers because of the copyrights

So what you're saying to me is that use the details and the numbers that i see in the question, and not to think so far

[...]

Gmail Account
Hi guys,

I came across a similar question while I was preparing for the CISSP exam and had the same query whether the AV (Asset Value) should be re-calculated in order to represent annual profit instead of weekly profit.

Clement, you can find a similar question inside Eric Conrad’s CISSP Study Guide (2E) on page 166 - Chapter 4 Domain3: Information Security Governance, Scenario Question 6-8 (specifically Question 7).

Kyriakos

On 23 Feb 2014, at 10:33, [hidden email] wrote:

Re: [CCCure CISSP] question about asset value in calculating
the ALE

Re: [CCCure CISSP] question about asset value in calculating the ALE

w.amol@tcs.com
I also always went wrong for this question. I think it should be weekly. Hope someone can throw some light on this.