[CCCure CISSP] access control question

cissp_student_01
Hello All,

In the context of information flow  under DAC, Which poses the greatest risk to information system management ?

1) A subject with Execute priviliege
2) A subject with read priviliege
3) A subject with delete priviliege
4) A subject with append priviliege

Answer is read priviliege . However, the explaination given is the read priviliege is most problematic  regarding information flow.
This priviliege allows an subject to create copy of the object in the memory.

can anyone explain why read is correct.

Re: [CCCure CISSP] access control question

Ali Khalfan
From what I understand, Information-flow control is mainly concerned
with confidentiality and the propagation of information throughout a
program.  The only way I can see information being leaked is if he
information owner under DAC would grant an unauthorized person "read
privilege", and thus, break the confidentiality.

At least that's what it seems to me.

Ali

abid James wrote:

> Hello All,
>

> In the context of information flow  under DAC, Which poses the greatest
> risk to information system management ?
>
> 1) A subject with Execute priviliege
> 2) A subject with read priviliege
> 3) A subject with delete priviliege
> 4) A subject with append priviliege
>

> Answer is read priviliege . However, the explaination given is the read
> priviliege is most problematic  regarding information flow.
> This priviliege allows an subject to create copy of the object in the
> memory.
>
> can anyone explain why read is correct.

Re: [CCCure CISSP] access control question

cissp_student_01
Hello Mr Surya,

Hope you are doing well. Are you in bangalore ?

Regards
Sam

Re: [CCCure CISSP] access control question

Pushpender Maan
Hello All,
This is what my take on this question:

1) A subject with Execute priviliege -- Execution is more related to program executable and hence should not be of much concern while speaking of information flow.
2) A subject with read priviliege -- This is in context of Information confidentiality
3) A subject with delete priviliege -- This is in context of information Integrity
4) A subject with append priviliege -- This is also in context of information Integrity

-- Now when we discuss, information flow, Confidentiality and Integrity are of greater concern. Out of three options (2,3 and 4) delete can be left as read, delete and append are directly affecting the confidentiality and Integrity of the information.

-- MAC is the preferred access control system when information classification and labeling is used and where neither confidentiality or Integrity can be comprised.

-- As DAC is used here, this information must be of a system where you have to choose out of confidentiality and Integrity. And confidentiality is always given more weight over Integrity. Hence the Read privilege.. ( As confidentiality is compromised if copy of information can be leaked.)

Regards,
Pushpender Maan

On Wed, Mar 26, 2014 at 11:00 PM, abid James <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hello Mr Surya,

Hope you are doing well. Are you in bangalore ?

Regards
Sam

Re: [CCCure CISSP] access control question

BobbyJoe

A little security+ birdie told me that under DAC, once a subject gets access to an object, they can do whatsoever they need to, including share it with others. Read priv may mean the ability to copy or display the info to others. Or share the shared printer from their station. I am only trying to justify the answer, but I don't understand it either.

Bobby

From what I understand, Information-flow control is mainly concerned

abid James wrote:
> Hello All,
>

> In the context of information flow  under DAC, Which poses the greatest
> risk to information system management ?
>
> 1) A subject with Execute priviliege
> 2) A subject with read priviliege
> 3) A subject with delete priviliege
> 4) A subject with append priviliege
>

> Answer is read priviliege . However, the explaination given is the read
> priviliege is most problematic  regarding information flow.
> This priviliege allows an subject to create copy of the object in the
> memory.
>
> can anyone explain why read is correct.

Re: [CCCure CISSP] access control question

robiul@yahoo.com

Rest are made up questions. Doesn't apply.

Re: [CCCure CISSP] access control question

robiul@yahoo.com

Sorry meant made up answers. Valid key words are. Read and write permission.

Ty

Re: [CCCure CISSP] access control question

Ty

Yes…I agree with Robiul. Too often we nuke a simple question. In other words, too much thought is place into a simple problem, when the answer should be simple. Especially when using the process of elimination.

Ty