[CCCure CISSP] Software Development Security question

[CCCure CISSP] Software Development Security question

maazsq
Hi Folks,

I have a question about 'Forward chaining' in relation to Software Development Security domain

What component of an expert system consists of “if/then” statements?
A. Backward chaining
B. Forward chaining
C. Inference engine
D. Knowledge base

Correct Answer and Explanation: D.
Knowledge base consists of “if/then” statements. These statements contain rules that the expert system uses to make decisions.

I feel this is incorrect, since "forward chaining" is related to If-then statements.

Your input is much appreciated!
Thanks,
Maaz

Re: [CCCure CISSP] Software Development Security question

Matthew Gonter
Maaz,

Check out Rule-Based IDS which is commonly associated with an expert system.  Shon Harris AIO speaks to this question on pg 261.

“An expert system is made of a knowledge base, inference engine, and rule-based programming….  The knowledge of the system is written in rule-based programing (If situation THEN action).”

Hope this helps.  I always remember Forward and Backwards Chaining being apart of different types of AI systems, and can’t recall off the top of my head what they did with them.

Matt

On Jan 3, 2014, at 3:38 PM, maazsq <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi Folks,

I have a question about 'Forward chaining' in relation to Software Development Security domain

What component of an expert system consists of “if/then” statements?
A. Backward chaining
B. Forward chaining
C. Inference engine
D. Knowledge base

Correct Answer and Explanation: D.
Knowledge base consists of “if/then” statements. These statements contain rules that the expert system uses to make decisions.

I feel this is incorrect, since "forward chaining" is related to If-then statements.

Your input is much appreciated!
Thanks,
Maaz

Re: [CCCure CISSP] Software Development Security question

Mailkc
CONTENTS DELETED
The author has deleted this message.

Re: [CCCure CISSP] Software Development Security question

Marouane
I agree with the members as well - A knowledge base can consist of "IF/THEN" rules, prompts or control statements.
Expert systems with knowledge represented in "IF/THEN" rule format are rule based systems. The inference engine makes inferences by examining which one of the rules based on certain criteria, to be processed and can lead to certain output and/or result(s).

Marouane Bal.

On Fri, Jan 3, 2014 at 4:30 PM, Mailkc <[hidden email]> wrote:
I think the given answer is correct.
Correct Answer and Explanation: D.
Knowledge base consists of “if/then” statements

Knowledge Base is actually a collection of if/then rules. These
rules/knowledge base are based on expert opinions and other expert data
sources. An inference engine goes through each of these rules and fires the
one if it finds a match.

Forward Chaining is when the inference engine starts going through rules
without any premise like if the computer is on, and step by step to the
final issue.

Backward chaining is when it assumes a premise as in if it knows a probable
issue and tries to validate if that is the one. example the
premise/assumption is DNS server is unreachable. So it starts going
backwards.