[CCCure CISSP] Qs4 Cryptography: cccure QuizEngn doubts

[CCCure CISSP] Qs4 Cryptography: cccure QuizEngn doubts

I have some doubts regarding some cccure Quiz questions and concepts mentioned below. Would really appreciate it if you could take out some time and help me with them. Request you to please provide a quick reply as I need to appear for the exam in the month of July.

Doubt#4
========

149.

1.     Question: 1474 | Difficulty: 4/5 | Relevancy: 3/3

Which of the following statements pertaining to Secure Sockets Layer (SSL) is false?

o      The SSL protocol was developed by Netscape to secure Internet client-server transactions.

o     The SSL protocol's primary use is to authenticate the client to the server using public key cryptography and digital certificates.

o      Web pages using the SSL protocol start with HTTPS

o      SSL can be used with applications such as Telnet, FTP and email protocols.

You did not provide any answer to this question. Please review details below.

All of these statements pertaining to SSL are true except that it provides optional client to server authentication.

Its primary use is to authenticate the server to the client, and not the opposite.

Reference used for this question:   KRUTZ, Ronald L. & VINES, Russel D., The CISSP Prep Guide: Mastering the Ten Domains of Computer Security, John Wiley & Sons, 2001, Chapter 4: Cryptography (page 170).

Contributor: Christian Vezina

Covered topic: <A title="Secure Sockets Layer (SSL) - SSL (Secure Sockets Layer) is a protocol developed by Netscape for transmitting private documents via the Internet that works by using a public key to encrypt data that's transferred over the SSL connection." href="javascript:void(0)">Secure Sockets Layer (SSL)

My doubt:  Please explain how SSL can be used with Telnet, FTP and email protocols?

Re: [CCCure CISSP] Qs4 Cryptography: cccure QuizEngn doubts

Good day Amlan,

SSL is one of the common tunneling tool.

Do a quick search in Google for Stelnet, SFTP, and how to secure pop3 over SSH and you will find tons of great details.

SSH has been used for years to protect insecure protocols such as POP3 for emails.

On Sun, Jun 2, 2013 at 4:21 PM, Amlan Deb <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hello everyone,

[...]

Details

Submit a comment on this question

All of these statements pertaining to SSL are true except that it provides optional client to server authentication.

Its primary use is to authenticate the server to the client, and not the opposite.

Reference used for this question:   KRUTZ, Ronald L. & VINES, Russel D., The CISSP Prep Guide: Mastering the Ten Domains of Computer Security, John Wiley & Sons, 2001, Chapter 4: Cryptography (page 170).

Contributor: Christian Vezina

Covered topic: Secure Sockets Layer (SSL)

My doubt:  Please explain how SSL can be used with Telnet, FTP and email protocols?