[CCCure CISSP] Q16April-13 Some cccure Quiz question doubts

[CCCure CISSP] Q16April-13 Some cccure Quiz question doubts

I have some doubts regarding some cccure Quiz questions and concepts mentioned below. Would really appreciate it if you
could take out some time and help me with them. Request you to please provide a quick reply as I need to appear for the
exam in the month of July.

Doubt#16

(This one involves 2 questions and explanations which are mentioned below)

69.

1.     Question: 780 | Difficulty: 2/5 | Relevancy: 3/3

What is it called when a computer uses more than one CPU in parallel to execute instructions?

o     Multiprocessing

o      Multitasking

o      Multithreading

o      Parallel running

You did not provide any answer to this question. Please review details below.

Multiprocessing is the correct answer.  A system with multiple processors is called a multiprocessing system.

Multitasking is incorrect.  Multitasking involves sharing the processor amoung all ready processes.  Though it appears to the user that multiple processes are executing at the same time, only one process is running at any point in time.

Multithreading is incorrect.  The developer can structure a program as a collection of independent threads to achieve better concurrency.  For example, one thread of a program might be performing a calculation while another is waiting for additional input from the user.

"Parallel running" is incorrect.  This is not a real term and is just a distraction.

References

CBK, pp. 315-316

AIO3, pp. 234 - 239

Last modified 6/17/2007 R. Austin

Contributors: Christian Vezina, Don Galarowicz

Study area: Security Architecture and Design

Covered topic: <A title="Common computer and network organizations, architectures and designs - " href="javascript:void(0)">Common computer and network organizations, architectures and designs

This question is also tied to the following area:SSCP

103.

1.     Question: 1125 | Difficulty: 5/5 | Relevancy: 3/3

Which of the following describes a technique in which a number of processor units are employed in a single computer system to increase the performance of the system in its application environment above the performance of a single processor of the same kind?

o      Multitasking

o      Multiprogramming

o      Pipelining

o     Multiprocessing

You did not provide any answer to this question. Please review details below.

The correct answer is: Multiprocessing

Multiprocessing is an organizational technique in which a number of processor units are employed in a single computer system to increase the performance of the system in its application environment above the performance of a single processor of the same kind. In order to cooperate on a single application or class of applications, the processors share a common resource. Usually this resource is primary memory, and the multiprocessor is called a primary memory multiprocessor. A system in which each processor has a private (local) main memory and shares secondary (global) memory with the others is a secondary memory multiprocessor, sometimes called a multicomputer system because of the looser coupling between processors. The more common multiprocessor systems incorporate only processors of the same type and performance and thus are called homogeneous multiprocessors; however, heterogeneous multiprocessors are also employed. A special case is the attached processor, in which a second processor module is attached to a first processor in a closely coupled fashion so that the first can perform input/output and operating system functions, enabling the attached processor to concentrate on the application workload.

The following were incorrect answers:

Multiprogramming: The interleaved execution of two or more programs by a computer, in which the central processing unit executes a few instructions from each program in succession.

Multitasking: The concurrent operation by one central processing unit of two or more processes.

Pipelining: A procedure for processing instructions in a computer program more rapidly, in which each instruction is divided into numerous small stages, and a population of instructions are in various stages at any given time. One instruction does not have to wait for the previous one to complete all of the stages before it gets into the pipeline. It would be similiar to an assembly chain in the real world.

TIPTON, Hal, (ISC)2, Introduction to the CISSP Exam presentation. Available at http://www.cccure.org.

http://www.answers.com/topic/multiprocessing?cat=technology

http://www.answers.com/multitasking?cat=biz-fin

http://www.answers.com/pipelining?cat=technology

Special thank to Steve Snyder for providing input and feedback to improve this question greatly.

Contributor: Christian Vezina

My doubt:   The definition of multitasking seems to differ in both the questions. Which one is correct?

69:

Multitasking involves sharing the processor amoung all ready processes.  Though it appears to the user that multiple processes are executing at the same time, only one process is running at any point in time.

103:

Multitasking: The concurrent operation by one central processing unit of two or more processes.

Re: [CCCure CISSP] Q16April-13 Some cccure Quiz question doubts

Lukas Lehner
Are you having a soliloquy? It seems nobody cares..

Re: [CCCure CISSP] Q16April-13 Some cccure Quiz question doubts

Good day,

Two processes can be running at the same time but only one will get running time on the CPU itself.  The CPU is a shared resource that can be use by only one process at the time.

On Sun, Jun 2, 2013 at 10:17 AM, Amlan Deb <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hello everyone,

I have some doubts regarding some cccure Quiz questions and concepts mentioned below. Would really appreciate it if you
could take out some time and help me with them. Request you to please provide a quick reply as I need to appear for the
exam in the month of July.

Doubt#16

(This one involves 2 questions and explanations which are mentioned below)

69.

1.     Question: 780 | Difficulty: 2/5 | Relevancy: 3/3

What is it called when a computer uses more than one CPU in parallel to execute instructions?

o     Multiprocessing

o      Multitasking

o      Multithreading

o      Parallel running

You did not provide any answer to this question. Please review details below.

Details

Submit a comment on this question

[...]

Covered topic: Common computer and network organizations, architectures and designs

[...]

Good day Lukas and All,

I agree it seems like not too many people are willing to answer that many questions all at once.

Amlan:  You may be over thinking the questions

A good example would be the one about token.   Once you get into details such as Soft Token where they fit etc... etc... There are too many tangibles that comes in to play on top and above the tokens themselves.    Those philosophical discussions are not really needed within the CBK.

Remember, the exam is about Concepts and you must stay at the concept level.

After the exam you can spend a lot more time learning all about today by using and implementing them in your lab, etc....