[CCCure CISSP] Cryptography Encryption

Uday Kiran
I have come across one question in a practice exam which was provided by my friend, can anyone tell me how encryption covers integrity??

Here it is,

Which of the following provides both integrity and confidentiality services for data and messages?
a. Digital signatures
b. Encryption
c. Cryptographic checksums
d. Granular access control

Answer is B.

Explanation: An encryption security mechanism provides security services such as integrity,confidentiality, and authentication. The data and message integrity service helps to protect data and software on workstations, file servers, and other LAN components from unauthorized modification, which can be intentional or accidental. This service can be provided by the use of cryptographic checksums (choice c) and
very granular access control and privilege mechanisms (choice d). The more granular the access control or privilege mechanism, the less likely an unauthorized or accidental modification can occur. The data and message integrity service also helps to ensure that a message is not altered, deleted, or added to
in any manner during transmission. A message authentication code, which is a type of cryptographic checksum, can protect against both accidental and intentional but not against unauthorized data modification (choice c). The use of digital signatures can also be used to detect the modification of data or messages (choice a). It uses
either public key or private key cryptography. A digital signature provides two distinct services: nonrepudiation and message integrity. The message authentication code can also be used to provide a digital signature capability. Non-repudiation helps ensure that the parties or entities in a communication cannot deny
having participated in all or part of the communication.

Uday Kiran

Re: [CCCure CISSP] Cryptography Encryption

Mukesh Dubey
hi all,

can anyone please suggest me about difference between CISSP CBK Ed 2 and CISSP CBK Ed 3?

Appreciate your help.

Thanks
Mukesh Dube

On Fri, Jul 19, 2013 at 9:50 PM, Uday Kiran <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Thank you!

Regards,
Mukesh

--
Thank you!

Regards,
Mukesh

Re: [CCCure CISSP] Cryptography Encryption

Doug Spindler

It’s been updated to contain the latest information and information which in no obsolete has been retired.

Re: [CCCure CISSP] Cryptography Encryption

Ibrahim
Uday
Digital signature sign by the sender private key and encrypted by the receiver public key which has the algorithm for integrity. Will be decrypted by the receiver private key and that provide confidentiality. Remember, public key is Asymmetric encryption.

Abraham

Sent from my iPhone